What is ICAN at Mulgrave?
ICAN at Mulgrave opened in February 2005 to provide integrated education and speech and language therapy to pre-school children with speech and language difficulties.
The Centre is one of a UK-wide network, developed by ICAN, the charity that helps children with speech and language difficulties across the UK, in partnership with Royal Greenwich Council and Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust.
Who can refer a child to ICAN and who is appropriate to attend?
Children are referred to ICAN by their clinic Speech and Language Therapist.
- be known to the Greenwich Speech and Language Therapy Service
- be a specific age; usually, a child has their 3rd birthday during the term they attend ICAN
- have significant speech and language difficulties in their home language
- have speech and language difficulties as their primary need
What happens at ICAN?
- A specialist team of early years practitioners and speech and language therapists work with the children each day
- The children enjoy the benefits of a mainstream nursery whilst receiving daily intensive adult support to develop their speech, language and communication skills
- The staff work closely with parents and offer parent workshops and individual sessions with you and your child
- Children attend for ten weeks; they will attend five morning or afternoon sessions each week
For more information on:
Speech and language services in Greenwich, please visit the link below:
Speech, language and communication, please visit the link below: