Mulgrave Primary School is committed to encouraging creativity through a wide variety of forms and expression. All children are encouraged to develop their artistic creativity, learn and acquire new skills and processes. They are given opportunities to explore a wide range of materials, tools and techniques in 2D, 3D and virtual form.
Art and design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes.
Children become involved in shaping their environments through art and design activities. They learn to make informed judgements, aesthetic and practical decisions. They explore ideas and meanings through the work of artists and designers. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, they can explore the impact it has had on contemporary life and that of different times and cultures. The appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts enriches all our lives.
The aims of art and design are:
- To enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work;
- To develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities;
- To improve the children’s ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
- To increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures;
- To develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials;
- To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.
- To enable children to enjoy works of art from first and second hand resources.
Long Term Curriculum Maps
Please see below for the progression of skills within different aspects of the Art Curriculum (Years 1 - 6)